Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fight - Move - Float

At a recent task analysis workshop I was running one of the process operators, who was ex-navy, told me that warships have three modes of operation. They are Fight, Move and Float.

It occurs to me that there may be a case to identify explicit modes of operation at industrial facilities. I'm blogging this now as a prompt for me to give it some thought.

I've had a quick google and only found a couple of references to this philosophy.

The Australian Navy's Semaphore Issue 10, August 2008 says these modes are fundamental in the design of warships.

Parliamentary Candidate Richard Mollet refers to it in his blog saying that the Navy use it to decide command priorities.

According to Wikipedia page for Canadian Navy mottos "Innare Progredi Bellare" is Latin for To Float, to Move, to Fight

No comments: